11 August 2005

Crash (Movie Review)

Don't read this if you have NOT seen the movie. I've been too explicit.


This is a great movie, in my book. Interesting, scary, funny, emotional. It is a defined slice but could have been taken from many other metro/melting pot urban centers. LA was OK and somewhat reflected in the superficial characters; they seemed to be presented at the depth that network TV shows present characters.

I think this was an effective way to make the material likeable to the broadest audience, playing to the mean. However, I found it presented the good side/bad side too rigorously. The movie gave away it's formula too early. I already figured the ammo was blanks, long before we got a view of the red box.

The use of sequencing vignettes was neatly done, tying the beginning to the end in a mobius strip. I could have watched it unfold again. I was distracted by the playback. The sound track was too intrusive. It could be that a grittier, harsher, less polished product might be unwatchable. But I would surely like to see it redone.

It inspired me to try to be even more kind than usual. I will need to be tolerant and kind as I'm traveling back in time and space to my past, to the substantially much less mixed culture, that my family lives in. One more reason it is good that C stays here. Amie and I will be the ambassadors from CA.

No comments: