03 February 2007

02/03/007 - Dream maze


Rising from beneath the sea of grass. Barely have a chance to suck in a quick breath. Then drop back down to the depths of dreams. My dreams, my life played out on the screen in a darkened theater. "Pan's Labyrinth" or more accurately, "'El Labirinto del Fauno" as this is a Spanish movie with English subtitles.

Seems
Guillermo Del Toro knows something about my life. As many times as I've jokingly described myself as a changeling, this is the first time a parallel story line so echoed the fine insanity that has unraveled over the past 54 years of my life.

Observant, she sees the truth yet believes in magic: like magic chalk that can create a portal where no doors exists. She is alone and spends much of her time lost in her own imagination. She experiences terrible loss and violence. She tries to do the right thing. She fails but in the trying redeems herself.

That is a cheerful thought, maybe there is still hope. For me.

I've begged and stolen a handful of my Aunt Gerry's paintings. The illustration above is one of her's..unfinished. It is my favorite. Because this surreal perspective was a very real place; my grandparent's place in Woolcott NY.

Scene of many hours walking the elaborate above ground root system of the tree pictured above. Also scene of the first abuse I can remember. Upstairs in the front corner attic bedroom.

No comments: