18 December 2005

Child Advocates

I've got to write about this now. Soon I'll complete the background check and finger prints and character references and court observation and training sessions. At some point in the spring I'll be sworn in and somehow make a choice; get an assignment as an officer of the court. Using my unemployment time to train for this volunteer position.

Not an adoption, but an alliance with a girl or a boy of a certain age, with a set of circumstances, a life with enough chaos to trigger the Santa Clara, CA courts to remove the child from their biological family. My new friend.

I wonder how long before my new buddy thinks I am their friend?

I think I can do this. I think I can do this well. I think I have done it for my own child. I think it is important to help each other. I think this life is all we have. All I have. Love is all I have to give this holiday season. I learned to take care of myself. I think I can teach another soul how to take care of themselves and learn to love. That is what this is all about. Passing it on and paying it forward.

No comments: