18 March 2007

03/18/007 - Lord tie my shoes for me...

St. Patrick's day was going to be my day. All day, a me day. I am my own best friend, ma amie. What does that mean? It's my life; why is every day not my day? Truth is I wake up every day thinking about other people, worried about other people's lives. My family, my ex used to consume me. For a while my troubled teen consumed me. My family, I left behind, often fills my dreams.

C fills my days, even today. Took me hours to look at the car in the garage. But then I did some of the things I had planned to do and it was a good day.

As I was sipping coffee, the doorbell rang insistently. I had dressed by then so I went to open it. Ahhh, good. Just a couple guys in suites with fliers in hand. Not the cops. I smiled at them, prepared to be polite but firm. The front guy held out a flier and tried hard to get out his spiel but sputtering did not resolve into a speech; the utterance would not come, so I started looking at the flier and he let go and passed it my way. I said thank you, I will read it. I smiled a genuine kind smile because after all, they were not police here to give me more bad news.

The guy behind, poked his head out and said something perfectly clearly, about participating in an event, detailed on the back of the flier. OK. Off they went, picking their way carefully off my stoop and back down the short side walk. Tidy suits but oh , one shoe is untied. I hope their lord and savior looks kindly at their efforts and gives him credit for trying to speak. Please don't let him trip, I pray.

Later that night, I packed up fuzzy boots and ripped jeans and schlepped those across town to the bistro where C is working. Valet guys had packed it in by then, so I could park the truck all by myself, and drop her clothes off. Asked why girls were screaming in the adjacent room. Party... 40 young people. Whatever.

On my way home, 10:30 ish, in the few minutes since I had left 101 to cruise across town, the way back to highway has been turned into a DUI/Traffic Safety Check funnel. All lanes are compacted into one and as I inch forward, roll down the window and prepare to...blow into a balloon? or have a flashlight shine into my eyes. Guy in front of me was waved to the side where folks were out of their cars, among the crowd of cops in reflective vests...carefully walking straight lines.

Cop looks at me...well looks into my truck and yells at me to keep driving; drive on through. Almost in disgust. Huh? That gigantic spliff I just smoked gone unappreciated? haha just kidding but WTF? Am I too old for a sobriety check? Damn. That was the end of my day.

No comments: