08 July 2005

July 4th: Camping on a crowded beach


CApoppies Posted by Picasa Don't usually camp on a major holiday weekend but the opportunity presented itself and I was unable to resist. Campgound on a bluff with the waves crashing below and fireworks going off all day and all night.

I'm reading "Dahlgren" by SAMUEL R. DELANY. This is a sort of stream of consciousness, that has occasional insights that resonate and reverberate for me; from early 1970's when I was at Stony Brook. 'Rap' has certainly changed meaning since then.

I nap, snack, walk on the beach, hang, shower, read, nap, sun, walk over the dunes to another beach, watch the sun set, build a fire, listen to the surf, sleep, wish for coffee, a hot crisp waffle appears (thanks to new friends). Get cleaned up and wait for other friends to go out to eat Thai food at Bangkok West, drink champagne and Chambord, smoke, follow them home over Summit Road to sleep in my own bed and take in a professional fireworks show. Then, Amie and I go back over 17 for two more days of lazy beach camping.

No comments: